1213 Orange Street
PLEASE ALSO SEE OUR COMPANION HISTORIES
FOR AN INTRODUCTION TO HISTORIC LOS ANGELES, CLICK HERE
George Rufus Shatto must have done very well back in Michigan; almost as soon as he and his wife Clara arrived in Los Angeles in the late 1880s, he bought Catalina and developed it along with property in the city. For their in-town residence, the Shattos picked a high suburban hill on which now stands Good Samaritan Hospital. On May 31, 1893, soon after moving into 1213 Orange Street—in 1924, Orange was renamed as the stretch of Wilshire Boulevard west from Grand to MacArthur Park—Shatto was killed in a train accident. Clara Shatto went on to develop property herself, including large residential tracts along Wilshire Boulevard west of Lafayette Park. She eventually worked her way out to Beverly Hills, where she was living when she died in 1942. The Orange Street house (as well as all those on the block bounded by Lucas, Shatto, Witmer, and Wilshire) would come to be replaced by Good Samaritan, but a remnant remains—for its story and more pictures of the house, see our story entitled Shatto on the Wall.