The Casas de Cadillac

PLEASE ALSO SEE OUR COMPANION HISTORIES
FOR AN INTRODUCTION TO HISTORIC LOS ANGELES, CLICK HERE



we first noticed the wonderful Casa de Cadillac on Ventura Boulevard, just at the north end of Beverly Glen, in the music video of Tom Petty's Valley anthem, "Free Fallin'." It remains largely as it was built in 1949 as a branch of Don Lee Cadillac. Its Southland Spanish nomenclature came in 1950, with its cornice-top script derived from the chrome lettering on the front fenders of Coupe de Villes. It is nothing short of amazing that the building, at 64 probably about the median age of Cadillac buyers, has survived the heinous General Motors automotive styling and engineering of the 1980s, the distinct lack of cool of the brand, and the near collapse of GM to be selling its original marque all these years later. The owners seem to understand good design and its value as advertising at a major intersection just over the mountains from Bel-Air and Beverly Hills. It is remarkable that they were not even inclined to remove the original script sign or replace it with Cadillac's later, more curlicue design. It is doubly remarkable that they have been able to resist change in the age of factory-dictated dealership design; the Casa must sell a lot of Cadillacs. Even General Motors would respect that.


From left, 1959, 1960, and, in the showroom, 1961 Cadillacs


Old and new Cadillac scripts, 1966



Apparently there were never anything so tacky as "used-car" departments 
at Cadillac dealers. Before Fleetwoods were "previously 
owned," they were offered for resale.


In addition to their preservation prescience, the hombres of the Casa de Cadillac were intelligent enough to create a brand. The Casa de Petrol stood just east of the showroom; just a little farther down Ventura was their Casa de Cascade. A dirty DeVille would never do.





Tom Petty evokes the Valley, 1989


On the day of his death, September 30, 1955, James Dean fills up with ethyl at the Casa de Petrol. Also seen in the picture
is Dean's '55 Ford Country Squire, which was following him from Hollywood north to his date with the reaper.
The station building, housing a flower shop in later years, was demolished in September 2016.