744 East Eighth Street
PLEASE ALSO SEE OUR COMPANION HISTORIES
FOR AN INTRODUCTION TO HISTORIC LOS ANGELES, CLICK HERE
Built circa 1889 at the southeast corner of what is today Eighth and Crocker streets, it still stands, if 3.2 miles to the west and reconfigured, at 1498 West 35th Street, to which it was moved in 1908. After arriving in Los Angeles during the Boom of the 1880s, builder and real estate investor Eugene Shipley acted as contractor for many very large Los Angeles residences, including Frederick H. Rindge's extant 1902 landmark house at 2263 South Harvard Boulevard. In addition to 744 East Eighth, Shipley built a number of modest houses for himself, including his last personal residence at 255 East Adams Street, where he died in 1907; that house lasted only until 1962.
Illustration: Private Collection; LAPL