HISTORIC LOS ANGELES encompasses seven sites offering individual house histories of one entirely vanished gated street, BERKELEY SQUARE; another gated community of which a single house remains, WESTMORELAND PLACE; one seminal thoroughfare still very much in place but entirely, or almost entirely, devoid of its original array of single-family residences, WILSHIRE BOULEVARD; another key east-west street once the spine of the original "West Los Angeles," ADAMS BOULEVARD; thriving century-old WINDSOR SQUARE, a subdivision too often lumped in with Hancock Park but one with perhaps 95 percent of its original houses, including many moved from Wilshire Boulevard as it fell to commerce; one partially surviving West Adams subdivision adjacent to well-known Chester Place, but predating it—ST. JAMES PARK—and FREMONT PLACE, opened in 1911 in a new Wilshire district becoming known as the "West End" of Los Angeles. Below are links to these histories; stories of miscellaneous houses and institutions elsewhere in the city are in CONTENTS below.